05/05/2011

Upcycled

Remember the skeins I machine-washed?

Now I have made spools of both of them, plus one un-washed.
The washed ones behaved well, in all ways. Each consisted of 6 hanks, each of which were approximately 740 meters.
This is more-or-less in accordance to what I have learnt elsewhere (see the article "To read older weaving literature") - except there should have been 8 hanks. Well.
But... the un-washed skein, which looked quite similar in grist - consisted of 6 hanks, each approximately 960 meters...


I wondered if it had something to do with the washing, but:
1. the washing was done almost without agitation, and in cold water
2. the 740 meters look Very Familiar -
So why are the hanks from the other skein longer?!?


Well. The best answer is always "sampling", right?
For a 30 ends-per-inch I had 18 spools of the new yarn and 12 from the stash, in varying grists (from 16/2 down to 30/2, I think).
I warped for An Idea, on two beams.


The idea did not work, that was very clear even after just 20 cm.

Re-threaded for another idea, less complicated. Here are two small samples of that:


They are two variants of using a "wall-of-Troy" threading for a 2-block weave.
The top sample:


and the bottom:


Probably, the real weft will be a it cheerier - yellow, orange?
And I think I have to use the top structure...

No comments: