02/04/2012

more spool me

As ususal, I marvel at the cultural differences possible in the smallest details. Yesterday, I looked at all spool-pictures inspired by Meg, and I read about making spools out of paper: rolled round pens, taped, made just to take care of "qrumbs" (quill-thrums? sorry – I must be bored...)

As usual, what we all learned from the beginning tends to be the "correct" way – so let me present: the correct way to make weft-packages ;-)

First, take a paper (this is a test print for hang tags for cushions, with some obsolete notes. Almost any paper works, except flimsy newsprint - unless desperate, then take 2 pages of flimsy newsprint). Fold it three times, for an 8-fold thickness.


Cut out an oval (well, 8 ovals). Remember to use the scissors for paper!


Now I am done. Easy, yes?


To use a new quill: the first time, lick on a “corner” before taking it to the winder. The moisture helps to get it snug on the shaft.


When the paper is almost wound on, add the yarn.


and wind on:


When the quill is empty, it looks like this


and can be re-wound, or put in the box for next time it is needed. (It may need licking a few times more)
Warning: do not inset the yarn until at least half of the paper is on the shaft, or it can come out and wind on the spindle, which is bad for weaving...

And, now that I have the pictures – here is my quill box



(Unfortunately, I dropped a shuttle and cracked the glass, but it still holds out most of the dust)

10 comments:

Laura Fry said...

For 8.5 x 11" paper, I fold so that I get 6 ovals - A4 is longer. I think I learned how to make quills in Finland so I do it the 'correct' way. :^)
cheers,
Laura

Kerstin på Spinnhuset said...

Yes! (but still - I saw several plastic bobbins in your basket...)

- and the best with the oval form is that it will fit both long and short shuttles, depending on which way you wind it: truly "one size fits all"

Klara said...

Thanks! I've been doing it like this in principle, but I've always been unsure about the size of the oval to cut out. Simply folding A4 three times simplifies things enormously! And speeds them up, too, as I used to cut the ovals one by one...

Kerstin på Spinnhuset said...

Klara, I used to make them bigger (can't remember why, though), but as I ended up winding them "crosswise" (with the shortest end on the winder) I started to make them smaller.
*Should* I want a longer quill, I can either just cut a new one, or wind them on the diagonal... like I almost do in the pictures.

Meg said...

"Qrumbs". Hee hee.

I have a question - is the "stick" on your winder of the same width? My hand-powered winder has a tapered "stick" so first instinct tells me if I did the same as you, mine would be skinner on one end, more like a pirn than a bobbin, and I'm not sure if it would come off the winder. On the other hand, I also have 200 swizzle sticks/skinny plastic drinking straws, too skinny to go around the winder, so your method may be what I should try next for my tiniest Japanese silk shuttles.

Kerstin på Spinnhuset said...

Yes, Meg, it is tapered.
I meant to take a ...caliper? to the studio today, but forgot. (Not the ususal tool needed for weaving :-)
Did some less scientific measuring though: max circumference 1,8 cm, min circ 1,3 cm over a total of 12 cm.
(If you are an ... inchworm... I'm sorry...)
So yes, I suppose it gets more like a pirn, but not much. As this is the, hm, correct way to do it, us dumb Swedes do not notice a problem with that :-D

Kerstin på Spinnhuset said...

And Meg, I forgot: how do you get your paper quills to "stick", if they are perfectly tubular?

Meg said...

I shall try your "correct" way the next time I make some, most definitely, Kerstin.

Oh my automatic winter, a pirn or a bobbin is... caught between two pointy bits. One pointy bit is stationary, and the other moves, and I slide the moving pointy bit up against the end of the pirn or a bobbin, so there is no problem in winding almost anything of any size on that. It's hard for me to explain in English, so I'll post a picture in the next couple of days. I really appreciated how convenient that one is, as long as we have electricity, compared to the manual one, as almost any size and shape equipment can be used on this contraption.

Kerstin på Spinnhuset said...

Ah, but that is a totally different creature! I haven't even thought about trying to use my electric for winding the (relatively) small amounts used for the small-ish shuttles I use for hand-throwing... For such a winder, I understand perfectly the need for both thick paper and tape :-)

kathyo said...

for the double-ended winders, you can buy a piece of tubing in brass, copper, stainless, etc at any hardware store and use that between the "pointy ends" as a spindle on which it wind your papers! :) kathyo