07/11/2013

More about horses

In Sweden, everybody knows how to tie the horses. They "must" be parallel, but opposite - like this:


(well, they can be the other way around,too)

Then I found a picture on the 'net - a picture that can't be copied, only linked to.
From what I can see, the horses are tied in a pattern I have never seen before:



Let's see if this gives the right photo:
Photos of Museo-Laboratorio di tessitura a mano Giuditta Brozzetti, Perugia
This photo of Museo-Laboratorio di tessitura a mano Giuditta Brozzetti is courtesy of TripAdvisor.

Or is she using just three shafts? I can't see the fourth, but it also does not look like the horses are tied two-to-one-shaft...
If they are, they still look like a "different" style.

This is how three shafts "should" be tied, according to Swe traditions:


Either tie one shaft to both ends of one horse, the other horse to the two other shafts (works best, IMO), or tie both horses to the middle shaft.

2 comments:

Laura Fry said...

She appears to be holding what looks like the top of a fourth shaft? Having learned from Scandinavians, I was taught to keep the horses parallel, but I suppose the other way could work?
Cheers
Laura

Kerstin på Spinnhuset said...

Well, as long as the shafts balance each other, I suppose it works. But it looks weird to me!